After having issues with the Ogre model exporter, I've decided to try to use Panda3D for the game. I've had segfaults trying to use it (Segfaults once I try to open a window...) but I've also found a couple of libs that the Panda3D build tool (It has its own build tool...) tries to link against (In particular the off-screen rendering component of Mesa/OpenGL) that it will skip silently unless you specifically tell it to link OpenGL. That's annoying, but I went ahead and installed that, so I should be good to go. If I still have segfaults, then I'll... Well, I'll keep trying, honestly.
That being said, I'm happy to keep trying with Panda. I want to make it work. The distribution tools aren't quite release-ready but are working, and they can build a stand-alone executable. Which is absolutely beautiful. Not only that, but it can build an executable for any of the three big platforms (Window, Linux, Mac) from any of those three, and it apparently trims down the Panda runtime that it embeds to what is actually used.
I'm happy to keep trying for that.
As I'm writing this, I'm checking out a fresh copy of 1.7.1 from the Panda CVS. (1.7.1 is the next release, but it's available on CVS and fixes some build errors from the current release version)
I'll be simplifying my design somewhat, as well. I'm thinking that interchangeable weapons are maybe a bit too much for something like this. I'm not sure what I'll do at this point as far as the exact design. But I'm trying to sort all of that out at the moment.
I'll try to have some actual progress on my next post.
Until then, peace
--- Mr. Dude