Wow, it's been a long time since I've posted here!
I'm currently working on a project called "Chibi Breed". The name is a play on "Alien Breed", but it isn't a direct clone of that series. It was originally going to be a clone of "Alien Breed", but then it went through several language and library changes before I finally settled on Panda3D.
I've decided that rather than a top-down camera, the game's camera will follow behind the player. Also, the game will feature both male and female playable characters. It will use a cartoonish art style. (For example, my current player model is about 3 heads tall, meaning that her body is about twice as tall as her head)
I haven't decided much yet (I have a nasty habit of deciding too much too soon), but I'm currently sketching out ideas.
I'm pausing my work on it for a little bit because I requested a change to the UNIX name of its SourceForge page. (The UNIX name is the all-lower-case name that is used to identify the project to the system as well as in the address of the project page) Since that process can take up to 48 hours, I've got a bit of time on my hands. I'd keep working on it, but the address of the SVN repository (Which is where I keep my source code as well as game content) will be changing along with the rest of the project's location on SourceForge, and that change means that I have to get a fresh copy of it after the name change takes place. (I have to get a fresh copy because the name change would make uploading my work from the copy I have not work: It'd be trying to send it to an address that doesn't exist anymore)
I'll be posting now and then with ideas I have, as well as to update folks on the status of the project.
I really want to finish this one.